Business Litigation Lawyer Mission Viejo CA
If your business is facing legal issues, it is important to have a business litigation lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA on your side. Legal disputes can cost your company a lot of money. A lawyer can mitigate the situation and provide you with sound advice. Here are several qualities you should look for in your lawyer.
Assertiveness is one of the most important characteristics to look for in a business litigation lawyer. If someone should sue your business and you have to go to trial, it is essential for your lawyer to be confident and not allow anyone else to intimidate him or her.
It is also critical for your business litigation lawyer to be completely truthful. He or she should not just tell you what you want to hear. For example, if an employee has sued you for wrongful termination and that employee has sufficient evidence against your business, your lawyer should be honest with you. This way, you will know what you’re up against. Your lawyer shouldn’t make promises that he or she can’t keep.
The business litigation lawyer you work with should possess excellent communication skills. After all, facing legal problems is stressful for any business owner. Your lawyer should be able to tell you what you’re up against in language you can understand. He or she should take the time to answer all of your questions. Additionally, your lawyer should provide you with frequent updates about your case.
When your business is under legal hot water, you need to have a reliable business litigation lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA standing next to you. Your lawyer should show up to all of your court dates and always return your phone calls promptly. If your lawyer takes too long to respond to your messages, you may want to find another lawyer who is more reliable.
Facing legal problems as a business owner can be very difficult and stressful. That is why you should choose a business litigation lawyer who has compassion for your situation. He or she should understand that you are going through a difficult ordeal and offer words of encouragement.
Signs Your Business may Get Sued
As a business owner, facing litigation is probably your worst nightmare. Lawsuits cost businesses a lot of money and can tarnish their reputation. The best thing you can do is be prepared for them and respond accordingly. Here are a few signs that your business may get sued.
- You recently fired an employee who didn’t accept a severance package. Employers are not usually obligated to provide severance packages to employees they let go, but it may be a nice thing to do. If you recently terminated an employee who refused a severance package, there’s a chance he or she will try to sue your company. Severance packages typically require the beneficiary to not pursue a lawsuit.
- A customer reported you to the Better Business Bureau. It is not abnormal to have an unsatisfied customer every once in a while. Even if you always try to do your best, you still may not be able to please everyone. However, the matter becomes more serious if a customer reports your company to the Better Business Bureau. This means that the customer is very upset about his or her experience and may be getting ready to file a lawsuit against your business.
- You don’t have legal counsel. Unfortunately, far too many business owners wait until there is an issue to retain legal counsel. If you do not have a skilled business litigation lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA on your side, you are at a higher risk of lawsuits.
Mistakes to Avoid if You Are Sued
If your business has just been served with a lawsuit, you likely feel overwhelmed. However, what you do and don’t do after the fact can considerably impact the final outcome. Here are some common mistakes to avoid if your business gets sued.
- Don’t admit fault. Even if you are unsure if your business is to blame, you should not announce it publicly. Only discuss this matter with your lawyer.
- Avoid throwing away documents pertaining to your case. The more documentation you have, the more likely you are to win your case.
- Keep your emotions in check. Dealing with a business lawsuit can be very stressful, especially if you have to go to court. However, if you’re overly emotional in the courtroom, it can work against you.
If your company is facing a lawsuit, you should schedule a consultation with our business litigation lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA as soon as possible to discuss your case in detail. Call Heritage Law, LLP today!