Will Lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA
If you want to establish a will, you should contact a will lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA. A will is a complicated legal document, so you want someone with knowledge and experience to assist you. A lawyer can help you draft a valid will and answer all your questions.
Common Mistakes to Avoid in Your Will
A will ensures that your last wishes are carried out and that your family will be taken care of after you’re gone. However, you can make costly mistakes along the way if you’re not properly prepared. Here are a few common mistakes to avoid:
- Putting off writing a will. Some people avoid drafting a will because they assume they’re too young or don’t have enough assets to merit one. However, no matter what your age or financial situation, it’s a good idea to have a will in place. Life can be unpredictable, so it’s essential to get your affairs in order soon.
- Selecting the wrong executor. The executor is responsible for ensuring your estate is administered correctly after your death. It’s an enormous responsibility, so choosing the right person is essential. The person you appoint should be trustworthy, organized, financially savvy, and fair. Before you choose your executor, ask the person if they are up for the task.
- Forgetting about personal property. Many people overlook their personal property, like jewelry and furniture, when drafting a will. Although these items are supposed to be divided up evenly, arguments can still occur among family members. To avoid conflict, your will lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA, may advise you to name who you want to receive your personal items.
- Not telling your family members where your will is located. After you draft your will, you should store it in a safe place in your home and tell your family members where it is. You don’t want them to struggle to find it. Avoid putting your will in a safety deposit box, as it can’t be opened without a court order.
- Planning just for death, not life. A big part of a will is planning for your death. However, many people don’t realize that it’s also about planning for your life. For example, if you should become mentally or physically incapacitated during your lifetime, you want to appoint someone to make healthcare decisions on your behalf.
Reasons to Hire a Lawyer for Your Will
Many people wonder if they should draft their will themselves or pay a lawyer to do it for them. Although it may be cheaper to create the document yourself, there are many benefits to working with an experienced will lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA, including:
- Save time. A will is a complex legal document, and there is a lot of information that goes into it. While there are many online resources about drafting a will, it still may take you a lot of time to figure out how to do it. If you have a full-time job and a family to take care of, you might not have the time. That is one good reason to hire an experienced will lawyer. They will ask you several questions, request specific documents, and then draft a valid will in a timely fashion.
- Avoid mistakes. If you do not have a legal background, it is easy to make mistakes while creating your own will. Because of this, the court may consider your will invalid, or your will might not state what you intended it to. For instance, you might forget to appoint a guardian for your minor children or overlook online assets. A skilled will lawyer has drafted many wills in the past and will keep you from making costly mistakes.
- Provide expert advice. A will is one of the most important documents you will create in your lifetime. As such, it’s best to get it just right. That is another good reason to have a knowledgeable will lawyer on your side. They will provide you with solid and objective advice. For example, they might advise you against appointing one of your close family members as the executor because it could lead to fights.
- Make necessary updates. Some people think they can create a will and forget about it. However, most people must update their wills multiple times throughout their life. When you experience a significant life change, such as a divorce or the birth of a child, it’s essential to look at your will. A will lawyer can make the necessary changes to your will to reflect your current needs.
Schedule a consultation with our will lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA. Call Heritage Law, LLP today!
Common Questions About the Process of Developing a Will
A will lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA can assist in developing these essential documents for the future. Considering a world that you are no longer in can be difficult, and at times, many of us push it to the backs of our minds. Because of this, many believe that their passing is so far off that they have plenty of time to develop their will. As a result, it can be easy to put off estate planning. However, when you do not have a will, you put yourself at risk of losing your voice when you no longer have one. Your family will also be placed in a problematic position amidst their grief as they will be left to sort out what your final wishes would have been, and as a result, familial conflict can follow. Working with Heritage Law, LLP can answer the many questions you have and help to develop these critical documents.
What is included in a will?
A will is a legal document that outlines your plans for the future. A will includes how assets will be disbursed, appoints an executor to resolve your estate, and identifies a guardian for your children.
Who should consider creating a will?
People younger may not believe it’s time to develop a will yet. However, it’s critical to know that if you are over 18, it’s time to make plans for the crucial document. Typically if you have assets of any kind, are married, or have children, it’s time to make a will as soon as possible.
What is probate, and why should it be planned for?
Probate is a public and legal process of validating a will. Through this process, the executor is officially appointed, all assets are evaluated, creditors and potential heirs are notified, and all taxes and debts are paid. All of these steps must be taken before assets can be distributed to beneficiaries. A will lawyer in Mission Viejo, California, can play an essential role during this process. They can evaluate your needs and help strategize how best to minimize the number of assets that pass through probate. In doing so, some assets may be kept private, taxes paid may be reduced, and beneficiaries may receive their inheritance faster.
How long does it take to complete the process from start to finish?
The length of time it takes to create a will generally depends upon the size of your estate and the number of assets you have. A will can be completed in just a few meetings with a lawyer with the proper preparation.
How often does a will need to be updated?
Typically the will should be updated every 3-5 years. It’s best practice to at least review the document each year. However, some changes prompt making changes immediately:
- Birth or Adoption
- Financial Changes
- Tax Changes
- To Make Guardian or Beneficiary Changes
- The Purchase of Property
What happens when a person passes away without a will?
When a person dies without a will, they have passed intestate. This means there is no document outlining what your wishes would have been. When this happens, all assets must pass through probate, and all decisions are made by probate court.
For further guidance, contact Heritage Law, LLP. Our will lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA, is available to help.