Will Lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA
If you want to establish a will, you should get in touch with a will lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA. A will is a complicated legal document, so you want someone with knowledge and experience to assist you. A lawyer can help you draft a valid will and answer all of your questions.
Common Mistakes to Avoid in Your Will
A will ensures that your last wishes are carried out and that your family will be taken care of after you’re gone. However, you can make costly mistakes along the way if you’re not properly prepared. Here are a few common mistakes to avoid:
- Putting off writing a will. Some people avoid drafting a will because they assume they’re too young or don’t have enough assets to merit one. However, no matter what your age or financial situation, it’s a good idea to have a will in place. Life can be unpredictable, so it’s important to get your affairs in order soon.
- Selecting the wrong executor. The executor is responsible for making sure your estate is properly administered after your death. It’s an enormous responsibility, so it’s important to choose the right person. The person you appoint should be trustworthy, organized, financially savvy and fair. Before you choose your executor, ask the person if he or she is up for the task.
- Forgetting about personal property. When drafting a will, many people overlook their personal property, like jewelry and furniture. Although these items are supposed to be divided up evenly, arguments can still occur among family members. To avoid conflict, your will lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA may advise you to name who you want to receive your personal items.
- Not telling your family members where your will is located. After you draft your will, you should store it in a safe place in your home and tell your family members where it is. You don’t want them to struggle to find it. Additionally, avoid putting your will in a safety deposit box, as it can’t be opened without a court order.
- Planning just for death, not life. A big part of a will is planning for your death. However, many people don’t realize that it’s also about planning for your life. For example, if you should become mentally or physically incapacitated during your lifetime, you want to appoint someone to make healthcare decisions on your behalf.
Reasons to Hire a Lawyer for Your Will
Many people wonder if they should draft their will themselves or pay a lawyer to do it for them. Although it may be cheaper to create the document yourself, there are many benefits to working with an experienced will lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA, including:
- Save time. A will is a complex legal document, and there is a lot of information that goes into it. While there are many online resources about drafting a will, it still may take you a lot of time to figure out how to do it. If you have a full-time job and a family to take care of, you might not have the time. That is one good reason to hire an experienced will lawyer. He or she will ask you several questions, request certain documents and then draft a valid will in a timely fashion.
- Avoid mistakes. If you do not have a legal background, it is quite easy to make mistakes while creating your own will. Because of this, the court may consider your will invalid or your will might not state what you intended it to. For instance, you might forget to appoint a guardian for your minor children or overlook online assets. A skilled will lawyer has drafted many wills in the past and will keep you from making costly mistakes.
- Provide expert advice. A will is one of the most important documents you will create in your lifetime. As such, it’s best to get it just right. That is another good reason to have a knowledgeable will lawyer on your side. He or she will provide you with solid and objective advice. For example, he or she might advise you against appointing one of your close family members as the executor because it could lead to fights.
- Make necessary updates. Some people think that they can just create a will and forget about it. However, it is necessary for most people to update their wills multiple times throughout their life. When you experience a major life change, such as a divorce or birth of a child, it’s important to look at your will. A will lawyer can make the necessary changes to your will so that it reflects your current needs.
Schedule a consultation with our will lawyer in Mission Viejo, CA. Call Heritage Law, LLP today!